One of the things that a lot of reformed carb addicts find difficult with staying true (and lets face it, strong) on a ketogenic, or low carb diet, is resisting sweets, like cookies and cakes. I won’t joke, I love a good pound cake, or a nice slice of lemon loaf, and every once in awhile I break free from my adamant claim that I was going to keep keto as simple as possible and not go out of my way to purchase excessive specialty ingredients to curb cravings.
However, this recipe, its all common ingredients in my pantry and that I keep on hand for our meal plans anyways. Win Win. Oh, and it’s delicious.
Cinnamon Crumble Coffee Cake
3 1/2 ounces almond flour, ( about 1 cup )
1/3 cup granular Splenda, not liquid
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter, diced
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup sour cream , 14% fat
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, 1/3 cup Splenda and cinnamon.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter (or use the whisk attachment on your stand mixer…or use a box grater and grate the butter in and mix) until coarse crumbs form.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture for the topping and keep chilled until needed.
- To the remaining crumb mixture, add the baking powder, baking soda, sour cream, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed until well blended. The batter will be thin.
- Spread in a greased 8″ round cake pan.
- In the same bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons Splenda, 1/8 teaspoon vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon until smooth. The filling will be thin.
- Spoon over the batter. Top with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. This is best if chilled well before serving.
Makes 6-8 servings
Can be frozen
Per 1/6 Recipe: 293 Calories; 27g Fat; 8g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 220 Calories; 20g Fat; 6g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs